A Skilled Construction Craft Laborer works in support of other skilled crafts
in performing any combination of duties involving highway or building construction, environmental restoration, tunnel and shaft construction and demolition projects. They utilize specialized training, knowledge of craft skills and protective equipment for the handling of hazardous materials. Hand and power tools are used throughout their duties including clearing and preparing sites, right-of-ways, and foundations for cement and asphalt products and structures. Frequent transfer between these and related areas require workers with diverse experience and ability to work without close supervision.
All of these skills and tools plus many more, require a laborer that is well trained and knowledgeable in a wide variety of areas. The Joint Apprenticeship and Training Committee of the Educational and Training Fund of Laborers’ Union Local #91 (JATC) was established to meet the need of the new workers entering the construction industry. Through the Skilled Construction Craft Laborer apprentice program, apprentices gain the skills and knowledge necessary to work as a productive and highly qualified laborer.
The JATC accepts applications the first Tuesday of each month from 8:00am until 12:00pm (noon) at the JATC office located at 4500 Witmer Industrial Estates Niagara Falls, NY 14305.
Noting that Laborers must be competent in a wide variety of skills, both physical and mental, due to the nature of the construction industry, all applicants must meet the following minimum qualifications and be prepared to verify any or all of them:
- At least eighteen (18) years of age – proof of age is required.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent – proof required.
- Be physically able to perform the work required as determined by a medical examination, after acceptance into program, by an approved provider.
- Post-acceptance drug tests to be randomly administered.
- Must have reliable transportation to get to work and related training.
- Sign a statement affirming physical ability to perform duties of a Skilled Construction Craft Laborer which include:
- Lift, carry twenty-five (25) feet and restack to a height of approximately fifty-four (54) inches, ten (10) ninety-four (94) pound sacks
- Load with a shovel one-half (1/2) cubic yard of material into a wheelbarrow, wheel thirty (30) feet and deposit into container
- Work at heights of ten (10) feet or greater
- Work in confined spaces
The Skilled Construction Craft Laborer program combines 4000 hours of in the fieldwork including Related Training. Each applicant who qualifies will undergo an interview and evaluation by the JATC which will determine a point value and result in a ranking number valid for two (2) years. Points are awarded based on Educational Achievement; Work Experience; Seniority as well as the Oral Interview. The Ranking Sheet is then submitted to the NYS Department of Labor to utilize for apprentice placement on job sites. Applicants must be prepared to verify any or all of the aspects of the evaluation/oral interview for which he/she is awarded points.
All applicants indentured into the program must attend all Related Training as required. While in Related Training apprentices will not be paid. All Related Training must be completed for an apprentice to graduate from the program and become a journeyman laborer.